Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Cambrian- Mobular (2017)


I'll admit that I was skeptical about this one at first. The Bandcamp page for Mobular, the debut album from Cambrian, describes it as "Relaxing Hawaiian Doom". Now I don't like my music to be relaxing and I'm not a big fan of pineapple either, so I wasn't sure if I would be into it. However, once I started listening, my apprehension was absolutely obliterated. It kicks off with some feedback, then a big, booming doom sound - slow and heavy - nothing to dislike there! But it isn't until the second track that you really understand what makes this music different: the lap steel guitar. While occasionally you'll hear it playing some "standard" Hawaiian fare, it integrates with the with the massive blasts of doom just fine. The idea may seem strange at first, but the tracks on this album prove that it's more than just a gimmick. The instrument manages to fill more than one role and you'll hear it creating an ambiance, aiding in heavy riffage, and dealing out some wild leads. On top of the interesting instrumentation, everything else on this release is solid. There's a ton of power in the riffs, and when they hit you full force it's like a bag of bricks to the face. The songs feel dynamic and the band knows when to bellow with a deep sorrow or pull back and let a more tranquil melody shine through. The doom metal foundations behind this are colossal, but you can also hear a lot of Pink Floyd creep in, especially on the solos. All of these elements come together to create a full, rich sound and an original approach to doom. If you feel like things are getting stale and you're looking for a new twist, this is it! -Brandon


No comments:

Post a Comment